Monday, March 1, 2021

last but not least...a Batik Zipper Pouch

Zipper Pouches turned out to be my big sewing project last month. I had so much fun making them that I decided to give them to family and friends as a Valentines Day gift and filled them with homemade cookies. Making so many bags required a lot of zippers and my supply was running low so naturally I had to make a couple zipper runs to restock. Around that time it occurred to me that I could also recycle some zippers. Of course now I am always on the look out for zippers that are good candidates for reuse. This one happens to be my first recycled/repurposed zipper which coincidentally matched the fabric for this new zipper pouch. I love when a plan comes together. 
One day in February, while I was making all the zipper pouches, I happened to run across a stack of hand painted umbrella blocks and the coordinating fabric that I had saved from one of my favorite auction quilt projects from years ago. The blocks seemed to be about the right size and I knew I had a zipper to match. 
Since I have quite a few leftover blocks and no plan, as of yet, to use them for anything I decided I could "spare a square" for this little project
Because there were so many beautiful fabrics to choose from to frame in the block it was difficult to narrow down the selection.

Finally, I came up with a plan to use several prints and then piece a simple border around the umbrella block. Problem solved. 
On the original quilt the children wrote their names along the top part of the handle of their umbrella and I drew the hooked bottom portion so on my zipper pouch I decided to do something similar.  
The back is just one piece of fabric  and I used a portion of the zipper  trimmings to add a matching loop on the side. 

My batik zipper pouch is finished and now I just need to decide what I am going to store inside. 

Happy March!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...