Sunday, March 28, 2021

March Madness: "SWEET 16" Bracket Party

Our family organized a last minute bracket party to watch our Oregon State Beavers play in the Sweet 16. There was not much time to prepare so the first thing the hubs and I did was figure out what food to have. Our game was at 11:40am on Saturday so we decided to make some quick and easy snacks and of course I wanted to put out some simple decorations. 
In the wee hours of the morning on game day I decided to make a couple chalkboards since it was the most quiet project I could think of to work on. I made one large chalkboard for the Porch and also a small one for the office since that is where we were going to watch the game. 
Our kids brought their sweet dog and had him dressed for the occasion. He looked so festive in his OSU collar scarf and fit right in with the rest of us all dress in our Beaver gear.  
The morning flew by while we were preparing however I did manage to decorate a little. It is easy with a supply of team plates and napkins.
It was a beautiful, sunny day which put me in the mood for flowers.  Unfortunately, there was no time to run out and get fresh flowers so I went with what I had on hand which were some artificial flowers we used at the bridal shower. They looked fairly close to orange and that was good enough for me but now a vase was needed. That is when I remembered the little black pot I had painted for St. Patricks Day. It was perfect!
Some Basketball Bingo seemed like fun activity during the game so I gathered up the supplies. My stash of small pencils always comes in handy for party games and the recycled yogurt jar made a great pencil holder.
It would have been fun to paint it but did not have time so I rolled up a strip of orange card stock and put it inside the jar. Next I tied on a piece of recycled black ribbon around the top of the jar. It was just the right size for the pencils and matched the tablerunner. 
The menu was also very quick and easy. One of the items on the list were Cheese Balls which I was going to put in my small  black bowl however they appeared to be sold out at the store so we got Cheese Puffs instead. The color was great but I still could not help wishing we had found a package of the ball shape. 
The credenza always makes a good staging area for snacks.
Baby carrots and hummus were one of the more nutritious snacks and also quick and simple to put together.
These Cuties were supposed to be basketballs however it was more difficult than I had imagined to paint steady lines on the rind so I ended up skipping that part since it was taking too much time. They still looked pretty cute in the white fruit basket though, and tasted great. 
Cupcakes were on my original “Sweet 16” Bracket Party menu. Unfortunately, they did not turn out very well. In retrospect, I should not have tried a new recipe with so little time to prepare. Thankfully I only made a small batch because these did not make it to the party table. Instead, I switched gears and took a homemade pound cake I had made the day before, cut it in uniform slices and then used a round cookie cutter to cut out circles.  After I had them cut out I drew lines on them to resemble basketballs. They weren't orange but I thought they looked cute on the orange plate. 
While I was fussing around with the snacks Mr. Wonderful smoked some fabulous chicken party wings. He made three types: buffalo, hot and regular.
They are great game food and always a favorite.
Nachos were also on my list. This quick layered dip was easy to make and fit our basketball theme.
This was a good make ahead snack, which means an hour and a half before tip off. Once everyone arrived I just popped it in the oven to warm it up and melt the cheese. It was ready to go in no time. 
It was a great basketball game and after it was over the chalkboards needed an update because the BEAVS are moving on the Elite 8!
They only required a couple minor changes and they were ready to go. 
No viewing party for the next game as it will be a work day but you can be sure we will all be watching. And who knows, maybe I will end up making a small batch of something special for the game. 

Go BEAVS!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...