Monday, April 26, 2021

Weekend Breakfast - Jalapeño Popper Egg Bakes and more

These egg filled ramekins were something new I intended on making Saturday morning however time got away from me and I only had enough to time to make sweet treats which seem to always take priority around here. Not sure how that happens but it is all good and I was able to make these on Sunday instead. 
The idea of easy, single serving breakfast entrees has been on my mind recently. Something that is more of a grab~and~go or easy to serve type of thing like you see in the glass cases at coffee shops or cafes. My first attempt were some Pig Newtons I made recently which we really liked and prompted the idea of these individual egg bakes last weekend. They seemed like another great thing to serve when the kids are home for a visit or weekend Coffee Klatches. The concept didn’t seem too difficult so I just set in. The goal was to make two, a his and hers so to speak, so I figured five eggs would be about right. I added a little milk and whipping cream in equal amounts since that is all I had on hand and gave it a stir. Next I shredded cheddar and pepper jack cheese, chopped some jalapeños, diced red and green peppers and chopped a little onion while I  cooked  a couple strips of bacon. Once the bacon was cooked and had a few minutes to drain on a paper towel I crumbled most of it but saved a couple small strips to lay on top. The veggies and bacon were added to the egg mixture as well as some salt and pepper. I stirred it all up and poured it into the ramekins however I ended up with enough for one more serving for a total of 3. A little bonus breakfast bake. 
Before putting them in the oven I garnished the tops with a couple cherry tomatoes, a small strip of bacon, a slice or two of jalapeños and a bit more cheese.
After 15 minutes I checked them and they definitely needed more time. They ended up taking about 30 minutes to bake so that will be good to know for planning purposes next time. 
They turned out really well and were easy to make so will definitely make them again. Of course, we also had some poppyseed mini muffins I made the day before to go with our Egg Bakes. 
In fact, the Poppyseed muffin recipe makes more than enough for us so I usually like to make a few mini loaves of bread as well to either put in the freezer for later or give away. This time I sent a loaf home with our friend to share with his wife. 
And, we needed some cookies too so I made Chocolate Caramel Bars since we have not had those in a while. They are a favorite however I only made a half of a batch so that I can make something new soon. They do have a good amount of oatmeal baked in so I think that could count as a weekend breakfast or brunch treat after a warm, hardy Jalapeño Popper Egg Bake.
The kitchen was certainly busy over the weekend.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...