Saturday, November 30, 2019

Chocolate Pumpkin Mousse Cake: Thanksgiving dessert

It is hard to believe that Thanksgiving is already over. Everything is cleaned up, put away and the Christmas lights are now up however we are still enjoying Thanksgiving leftovers which includes this   4 layer mousse cake { 5 if you include the chocolate ganache on top }.
This dessert was on my menu early on however I ran into some snags and actually and was not sure it was going to happen. It also required approximately 4 hours to make which made scheduling difficult.
However, I finally carved out some time at 3:30pm on Thanksgiving Eve. Not the ideal time to begin such a big project with unknown results but I pushed forward. I was determined to try it especially since I had invested in all the ingredients. { another reason I hoped it wasn't a flop } So I set in and began the baking. 
This tall cake required a cake collar which I did not have. In fact, I actually started to make this recipe earlier in the week when I realized that I had missed this very important item in the instructions. I made the first layer, which is a chocolate cake, and while it was in the oven I discovered the recipe required the cake collar. There was no time that evening to run out and find one so we ended up eating that cake. Over the next few days it occurred to me that I had some plastic that I might be able to make my own. It worked perfectly! I was ready to try again.  
Several hours into the process of making this cake I ran into another snag. The caramel mousse, which is the forth layer, requires thick salted caramel sauce which I completely overlooked. It was about 8:30pm on Thanksgiving Eve and the cake was so close to being finished I couldn't quit however it was really too late to go to the store and there was a chance they might not even have it. That meant my only option was to make my own salted caramel sauce, which I did. Since I have made it before I knew it would take approximately 30 more minutes but so worth it.  Once it was finished it was too warm to use so I put it in the freezer to speed up the cooling process which did help. Once it was room temperature I was ready to pick up where I left off. To top it off I set another one of my Chocolate Turkeys in a cloud of whipped cream.
Pumpkin Pies are a must so I made two of those as well, however, the Chocolate Pumpkin Mousse Cake was a hit.
It does take a long time to make this recipe and there are a lot of ingredients however I would definitely make it again. 

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...