Monday, December 7, 2020

Removing Hard Water Window Spots in December

Deep cleaning before Easter and Thanksgiving is a bi~yearly routine here and windows are on the master list of chores, however, I usually do not fuss with the hard to remove exterior window stains in the late fall because it is usually wet and cold outside although last weekend was beautiful.
Instead of going out though to enjoy the sunny day I was busy inside putting away the last of the Thanksgiving dishes and decorations and setting up for Christmas. While I was in the dining room I noticed the sunlight coming in the window which naturally extenuated the water spots that had built up over the summer.  You might say I had a "squirrel" moment because from that point on I was completely distracted and off task. In fact, I was obsessed with washing the stains off the windows. 
Since I have never been able to completely remove the spots from the exterior of our windows on the back side of the house I decided to try something new.  This time I used a combination of Dawn dish soap, vinegar and a little lemon juice. 
Once it was mixed I put it in a spray bottle and thoroughly covered the windows with the solution. Then I let it sit for several minutes. 
Next I took a sponge with a soft scrubber on one side and gave the windows a good scrubbing. Once they felt smooth I used a hose to rinse them off  and a squeegee to remove the excess water.
The results were great and most of the stains are gone as you can see, at least for now. The rain will be back by tomorrow but it was so nice to have the sun shining through clean windows for a couple days.

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...