Friday, February 28, 2020

sketch, draw, create: Giraffe

Several weeks ago my dad asked me if I would sketch a giraffe for him that would be used as a carving template for one of his new wood cutting boards. He has carved several cutting boards over the years, each one unique and with a different carving on the back.  All of them have been given away, one to our mother, each of his daughters and now he plans to begin making them for the grandchildren. I love a challenge, especially for such a special gift, so I was happy to oblige although part of me was a bit hesitant since I do not tend to draw many animals and have never tried drawing a giraffe. 
The only request he made was that I use the cutting board he made for me as a guideline for the shape and size of the surface area that he needed. Other than that he left it to my imagination to figure out the giraffe. So, before I began, I placed the cutting board on a large piece of paper and traced around the outer edge. I was now ready to start sketching.
After giving the details a little thought my first idea was to sketch a curled up Sleeping Giraffe so I got to work. Once I had drawn the basic outline I emailed a picture of it {which you can see below} to find out if he thought it would work before I continued. Come to find out he wanted just the head so it was back to the drawing board, so to speak. I flipped my paper over and started again. 
Again, I drew an outline, this time of the head only, sent him another picture and this time I got the green light to move forward. The details took a few more days since I did not have as much to time spend on it however it was in the mail about a week later. Before I mailed it though I did take a few pictures and I am so glad I did because....
...the following day it occurred to me that I could edit and add graphics to my drawings using procreate so I immediately started enhancing my giraffe sketch. It was so much fun to add borders, arrows, words and a grid. 
So much fun in fact that I did it to both drawings. 
And even added spots to the Sleeping Giraffe which I had not done on the original before the plan changed.
So there you have it, my little sketch, draw, create adventure. Once the cutting board is finished I will be sure to post an update. 

Happy Friday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...