Saturday, February 24, 2018

Babka x's 2

I can't believe I made a BABKA! 
Actually TWO babka's!!
I did not plan on making two however I was not sure the dough was rising the way I thought it should so I decided instead of taking a chance of wasting the wonderful apricots on failed bread I would start another loaf. Since I have made quite a bit of bread over the years I was pretty sure the dough would actually turn out just fine so instead of throwing it out I elected to go ahead and make it into a cinnamon babka. I also knew there was a better chance the guys would try it if it was cinnamon.  
Babka takes about 4 hours to make so I made it Friday evening while I had the house to myself for a few hours and that way it would be ready for breakfast first thing on Saturday morning.

While the dough was raising I worked on the apricots. They had to simmer in a mixture of lemon and orange juice for about 15 minutes. Once they were soft I pureed them into a smooth sweet filling.
I spread a layer of cream cheese filling over the apricot puree and then... 
...rolled, folded and twisted the dough, placed it in a pan and let it raise a second time.
Next I baked the cinnamon babka and while it was in the oven...
prepared the crumb topping for the apricot babka and...
sprinkled on top once it was ready for the oven. 
Once they finish baking they have to rest in the pan for almost another 30 minutes and then cool on a rack for a few more hours. By this time it was getting late so I let them cool overnight.
Both Babka's turned out beautiful and tasted great. I think I might try chocolate babka next time.

Happy Saturday!

1 comment:

  1. I certainly am glad to know about and see Babka!! Where have I been all this time???? Both of your loaves are very impressive and I'm sure were so delicious that they were worth all the time it took to make them. Kudos to you! :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...