Tuesday, February 1, 2022

Get Well Soon card —> with a surprise inside!

Owl be honest, the original idea for this card started out with just the cute little owl nurse on the front, however, it actually ended up with all sorts of fun things inside and out.
Since I do not have a cutting machine or an owl template I drew my own little owl and accessories. I also did not have any punches the right size for the eyes so I drew my first set of owl eyes however they were too small, hard to cut and did not look so great. So instead, I cut a second pair freehanded which worked much better. The feet were freehand as well. Once the owl was finished and resting on the front of the card it seemed a bit blah. There was a lot of white space and looked like it needed something else so I made a bandage for the corner. That was better however the little nurse did not pop as much as I was hoping so I made a medicine bottle for the other corner next. It was cute and gave it some balance but something was still missing. Then it came to me, pills of course. I punched some dots in coordinating colors, put them in a tiny cellophane pouch that I made and attached it to the pill bottle. The little "pills" are loose so they move around which is fun. Meanwhile, as I was working on the front of the card I came up with an idea to do something clever and unexpected on the inside. Something simple and related to the theme. 
TaDa! A pop~up tissue box. This was perfect and so cute I could not resist adding it.
The box lays flat when the card is closed and pops up when opened.
Such a fun and easy surprise on the inside. 
It is always fun to decorate the back of the card too. It needed to tie in with the Get Well theme so my thought was to make it look like a prescription. The practice prescription came out much better than the one on the card. It would have been much easier to make the back first but unfortunately the idea came to me at the last minute so the surface was a bit bulky and uneven to work with due to everything attached to the front and inside. That limited what could be done and I had to be extra careful when stamping and drawing. It did end up turning out okay though, in spite of the bumpy surface, and definitely fit the theme.

The Owl is a keeper and will hopefully be used for some other fun DIY cards in the near future.

Happy 1st day of February!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...