Monday, March 30, 2020

An Ounce of Prevention....

...is Worth a Pound of Cure - Benjamin Franklin

That familiar quote seems to me to sum up the current effort to prevent the spread of the coronavirus. We know that one of the ways to protect yourself besides social distancing and staying at home is to wear a face mask when it is necessary to go out in public. However, face masks are currently in short supply as we all know.  So we, like many others, do not have them. That is until now. 
A couple days ago I opened a drawer and discovered a bag of these cute character face masks. I am not sure where they came from but I thought they adorable and would be great to get out for a party or when our kids are able to come over again when this quarantine is finally over.  But,  it also got me thinking maybe I should try making a face mask.  
So I started looking through my fabric stash and as soon as I saw the Oregon State University fabric I new I should do it. I decided to make it pleated so that the print would show well when in use. It went together so quickly that I was ready to start another one. 
This time though I chose a batik fabric and changed the pattern. There were no pleats on the second one however I added a filter pocket even, though I do not have any certified filters, and then also a nose wire to make it more secure. 
To use up fabric scraps I pieced the top of the blue mask and liked how it turned out. After both were finished it became apparent that the Beaver mask would be for the hubs, if he would even wear it that is. He was a good sport though and tried it on and let me take a picture to show the kids since they are all Beavers too but then I remembered....
...I would see them all in a few hours. 
Just like everyone else, our family is following the mandatory COVID~19 rules.  We have been practicing social distancing, following the stay at home orders and are trying new things to keep in touch while in quarantine. Yesterday, instead of Sunday Supper we had a Tele-Supper which was Sunday Supper on Zoom! The hubs and I were so excited that we decided to wear our new face masks just for fun. Well, we took it a little further and also set up a fancy dinner table with linens, candles, flowers, fancy dishes and served a beautiful dinner for 2. It was so much fun! All the kids joined so even our children that live out of the state could be with us. We began around our usual time and we all had dinner together. In fact, it was the longest Sunday Supper I think we have ever had. It was great and we all agreed to do it again next week or until the restrictions are lifted. In the meantime, I think I will sew up a few more masks just in case anyone else needs one. 

Happy Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...