Saturday, March 14, 2020

beginner Brussels Sprouts

This is the first time we have ever grown brussels sprouts so we are newbies. Actually, I did not have any part in growing them, it was all the hubs aka: the farmer. He had talked about growing some for quite some time and finally did it. He actually started them from seed and then found the perfect spot to plant them, which happened to be in front of one of our windows. It has been an ideal location for growing and is also perfect for viewing, especially during the cold, wet winter months. Not as pretty as the roses and lavender that used to be there but a great conversation piece. And, it is only temporary. 
These green plants are such a strange and interesting vegetable and it is fun to watch them grow and transform into this "jack in the brussels sprout stalk" type of plant. It is surprising how tall it is and how they form at the intersection of the stem and leaf once the leaf it cut. This is at least what I gather from the hubs who is the one that actually is growing them.
The surprising part is he does not eat brussels sprouts however I love them. He is much more interested in the challenge of growing, pruning and harvesting them so I will reap the benefits of his farming skills. 
The first two photos I took earlier in the week when it was sunny however when we woke up to snow this morning I thought I would add one more. I think brussels sprouts are hardy enough for some snow in the middle of March but we will keep an eye on them over the next few days. I am guessing it will not be too much longer before he decides they are ready to eat and I am looking forward to that!

Happy SNOW DAY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...