Tuesday, May 22, 2012

"My Favorite Things" tea party

Saturday was our annual Mother/Daughter Tea 
and these are 
"a few of my favorite things"
from our party.
 Our centerpiece on the table was a flower pot I painted and filled with cuttings from my "favorite" pink rhoddies in our front yard. Originally I had purchased a beautiful blue hydrangea plant, however, that plan suddenly changed when I realized that the one I bought was waaaay too tall. I didn't want to give up on my first idea but after a couple of unsuccessful last minute trips to multiple stores in hopes of finding something else, time was running out. So, I quickly switched to the rhoddies and was very happy with the size and color of the new arrangement. In fact, they were the perfect substitute.  
For the placesettings I layered four different sizes and textures of placemats and then placed a linen napkin tied with a "blue satin sash" along the bottom edge of each. In addition, I printed silhouettes on brown paper, made a template with a scalloped edge to use for tracing and cutting and centered one under each glass plate. I wrote each guests name with chalk on the black chalkboard placemat. I used some leftover burlap I had from another project to  make a narrow tablerunner the length of the table which matched the color of the brown paper. Remember those hydrangea cupcakes from this post? I placed a hydrangea cupcake in a small hand painted flower pot which was personalized for each guest and then placed one at each spot. 
I made a simple, festive banner by folding large paper doilies over blue ribbon which matched the invitations, lacey placemats and "blue satin sashes" tied on the napkins. I also hung my new Happy Mother's Day banner in the entry. 
At each end of the table I placed a little flower pot full of chalk which we used along with our chalkboard placemats for one of our games;
"My Favorite Things" pictionary. 

I shared a new "favorite" essay about motherhood called
Sensible Shoes written by Emily Baer. 

Our playlist included "My Favorite Things" from the Sound of Music soundtrack as well as our favorite mother/daughter and tea party songs. We also had "My Favorite Things" sheet music displayed on our piano.

Tomorrow I will share "My Favorite Things" tea party treats!!

You can see more of "My Favorite Things" tea party
here & here invitations
here hydrangea cupcakes
here tea party food 
&
here crown 

● ● ● ● ●

linking to:

● ● ● ● ●

from my list of one thousand gifts

::mothers and daughters and sisters::tea parties::brother and sister working on homework project together::quiet time::playing games::improvising::

Happy Tuesday!


4 comments:

  1. I'd never noticed/read the 'One Thousand Gifts' blog before this morning. Am so glad you linked it; it's wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer, I found you at DIY by Design. What a creative tea party you had. I imagine everyone had a wonderful time. The flower pot full of chalk tells me you had some fun. I just love special little get togethers like this that make wonderful memories.

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz! Thanks for stopping by. We did have a wonderful time and the games were lots of fun. We look forward to it every year.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...