Saturday, July 30, 2022

DIY Recipe Box for the Bride~to~Be

Last week was the Despedida de Soltera for our soon to be daughter~in~law. While I was making the invitations I thought it would be fun to ask guests to bring a recipe to share with the bride.
So I slipped a small recipe request tag in a pocket on the back of each invitation. 
Then I made a framed sign that coordinated with the invitations to let the guests know where to put the recipe they brought or to take a recipe card and write down a favorite recipe.
A recipe box was also needed to collect all the recipes that the guests had brought with them and also the recipes that were written at the shower. So, I searched for a recipe box. I could not find one online that fit the theme or their kitchen decor so I decided to paint one myself. It was harder to find an unfinished wood recipe box, or any recipe box for that matter, than I had expected but I did manage to find one. Then I needed to come up with an idea for a design to paint.
While I thought about the design I sanded and painted the box and lid with a base coat of paint. While gathering my supplies I and came across the cute leftover brackets I used for the Library Tea Party so I set one aside as a possibility for the front. Once the recipe box was painted and drying I sketched a few flowers and then added a little paint. When they were dry I cut them out and positioned and repositioned them to get an idea how they would look. Then drew some similar flowers with chalk on the box as a guide for painting. 
At this point I still was not certain about the flowers so I painted a few more samples and then started on the box.
At this point though I was not sure about the flowers and changed the plan. I thought it would coordinate better with the theme if it was just blue and white with the label holder on the front. So, I sanded the flowers off and painted the lid white. 
It was not at all what I had intended however I liked it much better. 
The great part is that the recipe box can be repainted later with something the bride chooses unless she likes it just the way it is. So stay tuned, it may change again.
These are the cute recipe cards and dividers that were purchased separately.
The recipe box is beginning to fill up with recipes so it is off to a good start. Also, the DIY table runner under the recipe box was not only a decoration for the gift table but was given away as a prize to the person who chose the PiƱata Cupcake. We also played some fun games so I will be back soon to share the DIY prizes we gave to the winners. 

Happy Saturday!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...