Saturday, September 22, 2018

The Bird Feeder

The Bird Feeder is finally finished!
It all began last spring when Dad asked me if I would paint the bird feeder he built. I was more than happy to do it and instantly had a head full of ideas. Too many in fact, however, I started doodling right away. The first drawings, which were erased before any pictures were taken, were cute but not quite right for this project. So I started again. This time I was set on a more artsy look with lots of color and image outlines burned with my burning tool. 
Once I finally had the drawings finished I needed to transfer the images. However, I did not want to take time to run out and pick up transfer paper so I improvised.
Chalk on the back worked great.
Trying to burn the outlines proved to be a bit difficult due to the initial base coat of paint. It would have worked better without paint but I continued.
The original base coat of yellow paint was challenging to work with although I chugged forward...slowly but surely.
After weeks of frustration with how the paint was reacting to the base I finally decided to change direction. I asked the hubs to sand the entire bird feeder so I could start again. 
Over the months I began to worry that the small detailed images could not be enjoyed from a distance and that it would be better to have something large and simple. And then it came to me. Clematis would be perfect. By request, I had painted a clematis mural years ago on their shed doors so I knew they would like it and it would go perfect in their garden. I painted up a quick sample and decided it was a go.  
This was my outside summer studio. 
The 3rd time was a charm!
It is now attached to the top of a post in my parents garden and can be seen from the house as well as most anywhere outside in the back. Now the birds just need to discover it.

Have a wonderful Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...