Friday, January 8, 2021

Lets Make Bagels!

Wednesday afternoon we had a local internet cable outage so of course everyone who is working from home, learning online or doing any other cable related activity had to find something else to keep them busy until it was restored.  So, for some reason or another, my first thought was lets make bagels!  Nothing fancy, just something easy for a first timer.
That's right, I had never made bagels before however it had been on my list of things I wanted to try. Miss E had been talking about making them and then recently one of our boys said a friend of his makes them regularly which made me even more curious and anxious to give it a try. So I got started, with a goal of finishing them before dinner. 
The first thing I discovered was that Egg Bagels really are not hard to make. They  just take a little more attention than some of the other yeast breads because of a couple extra steps they require.
The process was fun and rather interesting, especially putting them in the boiling water. At that  point, as the yeast was activated, they really began to rise. They had puffed up and began to look more like a typical bagel.
After the water bath they were patted dry, brushed with egg yolk and then put in the oven to bake. 
They turned a perfect golden brown and had the classic egg bagel texture when they were finished baking. 
Mr Wonderful has never really cared for bagels, until now that is, so I would say we have a winner!
He loves these bagels.  He actually grabbed one as soon as they came out of the oven, sliced it in half and spread a good helping of butter over the top. Before I knew it he was eating another.
So,  needless to say, baking on a whim was a success and I am sure I will be making bagels again soon.

Happy Friday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...