Saturday, July 9, 2011

shed mural 1

Here is a look at the first mural I painted the
Summer of '91 
And yes, that is me with a perm! 




My parents love art and came up with the idea of having a mural painted on their shed doors and asked if I would be interested in the project. I thought it would be fun to try so I accepted the challenge. They knew they wanted large, stylized flowers but weren't quite sure what type so we walked around their property and looked at all the different flowers that were in bloom to get ideas. We took pictures of possible choices, looked at photos in magazines and books and finally decided on purple clematis. After some doodling and drawings my ideas were approved so we made a trip to the art store, bought some supplies and I began the project that afternoon.
Over the next couple days friends and neighbors stopped by to visit and check the progress and when it was finished my grandparents came over to have a look. The mural can be seen from the back of the house and enjoyed all year long. Later that summer my dad put a coat of marine varnish on the doors to protect the painting from the elements, however by 2007 it was time for some new paint
which meant a new mural.
I will post pictures of the current mural next week. 

3 comments:

  1. It makes me sad to think this beautiful mural is gone. It was truly wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen: Nice review of the great piece of work you put on our shed doors. We like the new equally as well.
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank goodness for the pictures we took to remind us how it use to look!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...