Saturday, May 16, 2020

Thank~You Treats { cookies & cupcakes }

Last weekend our neighbor brought us a container full of fresh Arugula from her garden. Of all the things we have grown in our garden over the years we have never planted arugula so it was an extra special treat.
It was enough for two salads. A large salad for dinner and another personal size salad for lunch. 
The salad was simple and was made with ingredients I had on hand which included grape tomatoes, ribbons of sliced red onion, roasted pine nuts and shredded parmesan cheese.
For the dressing I used one of my favorite flavored vinegars and simply drizzled it over the top and then sprinkled the salad with a bit of salt and pepper. The light vinegar dressing was just right for the tender leaves and tasted wonderful. Once the arugula was gone we needed to return the container it came in and decided to fill the box with some homemade goodies as a thank~you. 
Mr. Wonderful suggested some chocolate chip cookies since that was also what he thought sounded good so I made a batch. Half of the cookies were extra large which I thought would be fun to fill the box with and the other half were the regular size.  While those were baking I had a sudden whim to make cupcakes for them also. Since I had already used chocolate in the cookies I thought I would make vanilla almond with buttercream frosting and decided to make it a small batch of 6 cupcakes; 4 to give away and 2 for us. It sounded like a perfect plan to me so I kept my apron on and continued. 
Once the six vanilla almond cupcakes were in the oven baking I cleaned up again and began making the frosting. Well, another wild idea popped in my head, this time of making a half batch of chocolate cupcakes. So,  it was back to the sink to wash up everything once again and then mix up 14 more cupcakes. To top the chocolate cupcakes I made strawberry buttercream frosting  using my homemade jam. Not only does it make a pretty pink frosting but goes so well with chocolate. We had some wonderful fresh strawberries a few days earlier which would have been wonderful as cupcake toppers however I made strawberry shortcake the night before and used them all so I made cupcake picks for the tops instead. 
When all was said and done we had 20 cupcakes and 40 chocolate chip cookies.
We filled up the box with the sweet treats and walked it over to the neighbors. It was a fun to surprise them with a box full of treats. We still have a lot of sweets so we may need to make a few more deliveries!

Happy Saturday!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...