Thursday, May 16, 2013

Buttermilk Pie

This is the first time I  have ever made or eaten
Buttermilk Pie.
I had never even heard of a Buttermilk Pie until recently when a friend of ours told us about trying it in a restaurant in Texas a few weeks ago. Apparently it is popular in the south because we have some other friends, who used to live in Texas, who also like Buttermilk Pie and told us that it is a fairly common and well liked dessert there.  After hearing all the stories about this pie I was becoming curious and decided to  make one so that we could try it ~ but first I needed to find a recipe. I thought for sure I would find something similar to what they had described in one of my many cookbooks but after going through every one I could not find a single recipe for this southern custard~like pie. Next, I searched online where I finally found some promising recipes which I narrowed down to two very different versions. The first looked quick and easy with few ingredients, high ratings and lots of reviews. The other had more steps, required more time but would produce a more traditional pie. They both looked interesting so I went ahead and made one of each. I have to say, we thought both were very good, especially while still warm and topped with freshly whipped cream.
This pie only has a few ingredients and no crust. 
It had 181 reviews and a 5 star rating so I thought it was worth trying.
{I caramelized some sugar on top which is not called for in this recipe.} 
This recipe takes more time. It has a lot of steps and a lot more ingredients than the one above. We liked this one too.

If you want to try making a Buttermilk Pie you can find the recipes 
 here and here.

Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

  1. I've never eaten buttermilk pie either. They look delicious. With all this experimental baking perhaps you've used up your generous supply of buttermilk, eh? hehehe

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...