Monday, February 28, 2011

camera confession

I have to confess, this Cannon Power Shot A80 is my favorite camera. At first glance it would be easy to draw conclusions based on the appearance of this well used camera. Believe me, we have had lots of fun teasing and making jokes about it but in spite of the scratches and duct tape, it takes unbelievably great pictures. I admit it is a bit heavy due to the four double A batteries it requires but the advantage is I never have to wait for recharging. I just carry an extra set of batteries or stop by the nearest store and Wah La, I'm back in business in no time. You might be thinking it looks rather large and bulky compared to the new, thin, sleek models that fit in your pocket but I assure you it is worth its weight (and size) in gold. It just requires carrying an extra large purse....problem solved. 


If only my favorite camera could talk, oh the stories it could tell. Perhaps of the time it was stolen from a checked bag at an international airport only to be returned months later minus the tiny but valuable memory card full of special images that could never be replaced. Or when sand from the warm sunny beaches in Maui inadvertently collected under the moving parts and made it nearly impossible to zoom for at least a year. Or the time it met with an unfortunate accident in Kenya which involved dropping it accidentally on the pavement. This resulted in broken plastic parts that are now held together with tape, rubber bands and a strong pinky finger that presses the bottom against the batteries when the tape begins to loosen. In spite of these setbacks it continues to be amazingly reliable and able to shoot exceptional photos.  


With all of that said, I must admit that my wonderful family gave me a brand new, thin, sleek, pocket sized, blue Sony camera for my birthday almost 2 years ago which I really like and have used ever since. It is light weight, easy to carry, takes video and also very good pictures. I have not used my old favorite camera since I received my gift but yesterday I pulled it out of the cupboard, filled it with batteries, set the time and date and tried it out. It still works! This is a good thing since my new camera is being borrowed for the next 10 days. During that time I'm sure that something picture worthy will come up that requires a proper photo and you can rest assured that I will be able to capture it with my Cannon Power Shot A80.   

1 comment:

  1. That little camera has certainly had nine lives! The fact that you still have it, in spite of it's disabilities, proves you are your mother's own child!!!! *wink* Under the circumstances, it's a good thing you kept it in reserve.

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...